Friday, February 09, 2007

V-Day is almost here...


So I'm working on a post. No, maybe that sounds too involved. I started a post the other day and wrote about 4 sentences and got bored. I decided I'd put it on the back burner a few days and see if a little percolating might help it. I'll give you a preview though: it's about my favorite sin. :)

Today though, I'm going to post something else. You see, I promised someone that I would post everyday this weekend and by golly, I'm going to do it. I mean it to.

I got thinking about Valentine's Day a few days ago. I've never really been a fan. Why? Well for two reasons mainly. First, I never have a girlfriend around V-Day. Second, even if I did I don't know what I'd do for it.

It's always been an unwritten rule for me to not start to date anyone between Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day. Exchanging gifts because of holidays is the number one cause of over-commitment in a budding relationship. (Seriously, look it up.) This year however I've been going against my rule entirely, well, not entirely. I've dated a few girls but have managed to decide I wasn't in love with them in time for the next holiday on the calendar. Now that I look back on that it kind of sounds suspicious to me.

So yeah, it was strange for me to be contemplating Valentine's day. I got to thinking about a friend I wouldn't mind expressing my friendship to. Wait... How can I have those thoughts? I swear I'm not in love with the girl. I mean I like her. We just don't know each other enough for it to be more than that. Why am I rethinking my stance on V-Day? It must just be the guy in me that likes to give gifts and show my friends that I appreciate their friendship.

I like to give gifts. Honest. I remember one birthday I got about 10 bucks from birthday cards and ran down to the dollar store to buy candy for my siblings and ugly silk flowers for my mom and grandma. Boy were they overjoyed, I tell you what.

Last summer I started casually dating/hanging out with a girl. I wasn't insanely into her at the time but she was a friend and I appreciated her friendship so I'd do nice things for her. Well, I thought they were nice things. She thought they were tokens of my affection...no, let me restate that. She thought they were tokens of my undying love. Why must nice things be interpreted that way?!? That's part of what makes me hesitant to give gifts or do kind acts of service (let alone on Valentine's Day) to anyone or particularly any girl just because I want to show them that I value the friendship we've had up to that point.

I'm going to ignore my past experience though. It's time for me to be me again without fear of being misinterpreted. I can do this. I swear I can. I can be the sweet, loveable (and severely attractive) man I've been in the past. Nothing will be misinterpreted. My goal is that just enough will be interpreted.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love giving gifts, too. Sometimes maybe a bit too much.

Also, it's funny that you mention Valentine's Day making you want to give gifts to your friends just to show them you appreciate their friendship. I just got done writing a couple of e-mails with that exact purpose!

I myself have never had a bf on Valentine's Day, but I still love Feb. 14th. It gives me an extra excuse to show/tell people how much I love and appreciate them. For that reason, I don't think I'll ever care if I have a significant other on this particular holiday.

Anyway, spread your love! I think it's a great idea. People will take it as they will, but don't let that stop you. I'm glad to know there are more people like me in the world! If only there were more in my immediate vicinity....

Happy (early) Valentine's Day, JAC.

Chillygator said...

Yay for keeping commitments!

I'm really excited for a favorite sin post. After we talked about it I laid in bed the next morning (debating on getting up and dressed) singing about my favorite sins (to, as you can imagine, the tune of "My Favorite Things"). The list is gone now, but believe you me, it was awesome.

I think we should all get superman valentines with suckers attached and give them to everyone we know. That way it's informal and spreading the love with clever phrases like "you're my hero, valentine".