Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Einstein, Freud, and Darwin

In my theatre history class a week or so ago we were talking about Einstein, Freud, and Darwin. I know they don't seem like 3 gentlemen a theatre class would talk about but they are and we were.

With Darwin we talked about Evolution and his book, Origin of Species..., and it reminded me of high school where we put on a production of Inherit the Wind. Great show in my opinion about the Scopes Monkey Trial. Whenever you get to pit Creationism and Evolution against each other you're bound to run into dramatic action.

With Freud we talked about the theory of the Id vs. the Ego. Interesting stuff although sternly negated by my roommate.

Finally with Einstein we talked about his Theory of Relativity. Basically, time is relative. I thought about that this morning as I was taking a shower. You see, this morning I woke up an hour earlier than usual and hopped in the shower. At the time I didn't think I took a very long shower. Turns out I took half an hour. That's 20 minutes more than normal. Why didn't it seem 3 times longer? Because time is relative.

Think of the guy who waits for the girl to answer her phone when he dials her number for the first time. Time could certainly be going slow for him.

What a thought to think at 7 in the morning.

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

I knew "Inherit the Wind" was about the Scopes monkey trial. I just wasn't 100% sure I was right the other night when someone mentioned it. Who knows, maybe it was you. I can't remember.