Sunday, February 18, 2007

a girl, a blog, and a hungarian author

In 1929, back in the day where there was nothing else to do, a Hungarian author by the name of Frgyes Karinthy published a volume of short stories called "Everything is Different." Karinthy believed that the world was shrinking in a way due to the ever-increasing connectedness of human beings. You can imagine that with the strides of technology since then--cell phones, email, facebook--we are even more connected than Karinthy could have dreamed. In his book, the characters create a game stemming from this theory:
A fascinating game grew out of this discussion. One of us suggested performing the following experiment to prove that the population of the Earth is closer together now than they have ever been before. We should select any person from the 1.5 billion inhabitants of the Earth—anyone, anywhere at all. He bet us that, using no more than five individuals, one of whom is a personal acquaintance, he could contact the selected individual using nothing except the network of personal acquaintances.

As you can see this game seems to resemble incredibly the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game doesn't it? (I swear my neighbor can beat anyone you know at that game.) We're all connected huh? Hard to believe?

If any of you have read my blog within the past week (since Thursday) you probably read over my solicitation for the chance to meet a certain girl I saw in a flic on Google Video. I've received a few comments from said solicitation and would like to now take the opportunity to comment on them. :)

ChillyGator:
How happy this post makes me due to sheer randomness. 10 points.

Sometimes, dear, dates really do make just another great story. Too bad she probably considers herself a minor celebrity. Isn’t that always the way?

Use your stalking skills. (o:
I'm glad this post makes you happy. I will gladly accept the 10 points. Minor celebrity? Yeah...that's true. I sure hope that fame hasn't gone too much to her head. I mean I'm just a humble, down-to-earth kind of guy. Now with regards to stalking skill, hmm, I don't agree with that term. Sure we Board Writers may have excellent research skill, but we respect the privacy of others and wouldn't dream of violating that privacy. That's actually one of the main reasons I didn't didn't disclose last name info in my previous post.

Anonymous:
I believe this girl is in my ward. She lives in my complex.
Way to be discreet there Anonymous. Glad to know you know of her. Chrissy, if you're reading this then I suggest watching out for Anonymous. Werf obviously knows you but you don't know werf AND werf apparently lives in your complex. Consider moving. That's kind of creepy...no offense Anonymous. FYI - "werf" is a Board term if you need a definition.

Kimmy:
Can I please be on your Gift Approval Committee? Cause the committee really isn't up to par in my opinion.
Also, JAC is a fabulous person when not playing Munchkin and is a fabulous cook :)
Can you be on my committee? I don't know about that Kimmy. It's a very select committee consisting of my roommate and myself. I suppose if there is a divided decision we could at least consult you. I do think we do alright though. Hey thanks about saying I'm fabulous. Although i don't know if I'd use that word to describe me. "Fabulous" sounds a little too effeminate for me. Sure I've got a sensitive side but there are few things that give me more pleasure than re-wiring a lamp or opening a tightly sealed jar. If I were to use the word "fabulous" though, I don't think I'd restrict it from my Munchkin play. I've only played that game 3 times so I don't think it's fair to make a judgement there. I am a good cook aren't I? Thanks for noticing.

Now everyone, here's the comment that I was most surpised by.

Chae:
This is Chaela. [A] business partner with "Speakerphone Productions."

Besides being a little creepy and offensive (I'm just as cool) this is pretty funny. [The girl you saw] is my best friend and roommate...anyone who gets to her does so through me...so say some nice things about me and we'll see what happens. I can tell you though that she's not really into stuff like this. Like, at all. But good luck.
What a pleasure it's been to have you comment on my blog Chae! Really this is very surpising to me to have this message reach you so quickly. It's a real honor I assure you. You're so talented. I can't explain how nice it is for a minor celebrity like yourself to write on my blog. I'm very curious to find out how you were reffered to my. Ok, now...what did you mean by creepy and offensive? I thought you both would be flattered that I was advertising your movies. My blog reached a record number of hits because I posted your movie and hopefully you received a number of views as well. Google Video ought to be pounding on your door for more. I do understand what you say about [your friend] not being too into "stuff like this" and welcome your vote of encouragement. What else can I say? You're funny Chae and I'm glad you were able to laugh at my blog if at least for a moment. Hopefully laughter isn't the only thing that comes from all of this. If it is...oh well. Life goes on. Just note that I don't have any sneakers embroidered on my shirts. ;)

Back to the general readership, what an interesting episode don't you think? I posted a solicitation to meet a certain person I've never met and within 3 days I received word that a close friend of that person knew of my request. This world is much smaller than I expected. Karinthy must be so excited.

I'm tired and need to rest up if I'm going to get back to Provo tomorrow. G'night all.

5 comments:

Brooklyn said...

I would like to challenge your neighbor on this.

ViolaSaint said...

I read part of a sociology experiment done in like the 50's that went along those same lines. Random people across America were given a letter for some guy in New York (maybe? I don't remember details) and told to get it to him. It could only be hand delivered or mailed to personal acquaintances, but it usually only took like a week to get to the guy. Cool, no?

Anonymous said...

I think the experiment was referenced in Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, and I concede a defeat on any Kevin Bacon-icity, as not to disillusion JAC

Charly said...

For more strange connections, I roomed with a Chaela my freshman year, so I might know her. And I read the Board.

Charly said...

I watched the video, and it's definitely her.