Sunday, January 14, 2007

Commitment: taking it one step at a time

If you were to look at my left ring finger right now you'd see the faded markings of what looks like the number 4. If you were to think it was the number 4 you'd be terribly mistaken. It's actually an upside down rudimentary drawing of a chair.

Why do I have a drawing of a chair on my left ring finger? Because I wanted to share a thought with you but I didn't want to forget it. Since I didn't have any string I opted to make a line on my hand. Ten minutes later I almost forgot what the line was for so I adapted it into being a chair.


When I go into a room I always identify my exits. It's not a habit from over-flying I can assure you. I want to make sure I have a quick way out of the room should I need to rush out. Why would I need to rush out? I don't know. I haven't thought that far yet. My habit carries over into how I select my seat in a classroom as well. I generally sit on the half near the door, often on the front row or on the aisle. It makes for the most efficient exit. Efficient exits are very important. Do you think I'm a little peculiar? I don't think so. In fact I'd say that most of us do this on a subconscious level. I just do it consciously. Why else is it that in church every one sits towards the aisles and leaves huge spaces in the middle of the pew (sp?). In the Marriott Center they're always asking people to scoot into the center to make room for more.

I think this habit of ours stems from our overall fear of commitment. When we enter a space, if we choose an exit seat we really haven't committed to the space.

Today I made a choice. I committed to my Sunday School class. I was the first one there and I went and sat smack dab in the center row right against the wall (it's a small room). For me to have been able to escape I would have had to knock over 3 girls and a large man. It wasn't going to happen.

At the start of class I was amazed at how nervously jumpy I was. In time I calmed down and was able to contribute responsibly to the lesson. It certainly was a good one and I most certainly will accept some credit for it (I didn't disturb the flow with so many of my random comments this time).

I had no idea commitment could be such an adrenaline rush!
(this blog entry in no way reflects my role in relationships, honest)

2 comments:

Olympus said...

Quite clever. I like that I called the uncomfortability factor of sitting in the middle...before you mentioned it.

Allie said...

HI FRIEND! So I don't know how I got through my life not even knowing that you had a blog. I guess I fail that game. I mentioned you in mine the other day because I saw you in the Bookstore buying textbooks and I didn't remember where I knew you from, and when I finally remembered (after I'd already left), I couldn't remember your actual name (but I remember it now, don't worry). I always find it funny how well we Board Writers just blend in wherever we are. I bet no one even guessed they were standing in line with two of the coolest people ever. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I totally identify with you--I really like being near the exit. It makes me feel safer, I guess. I might be taking it to an extreme, though. After school, wherever I end up has to be no further than three hours from an ocean. I don't particularly like beaches, but man. The ocean is the ultimate exit, don't you think?

Well, sorry to ramble, and I hope you are just having the best day ever!